What's your story?

My Dad was born in Cameron, West Virginia.  His parents had very little financial means, and came to Akron looking for a better life.  My Dad likes to tell stories of his childhood.  I always enjoy hearing about the holes in his childhood roof — that would allow the snow to fall on him as he tried to stay warm and sleep.  I have never verified the story, but his poverty certainly has formed his weltanschauung. My Dad is proud of his earthly accomplishments, and the difference he made as a father to his children.  As I child I never knew hunger and cold.

There is a well-known older hymn with the chorus: “I love to tell the story, ‘twill be my theme in glory…to tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love!”  I love that hymn.  It speaks to the need for all believers to never stop speaking our story.  The story of how God has saved us, and is saving us, and will save us!  We need to tell the story.  We need to tell it to ourselves, every day.  It helps us keep focused on God.  We, also, need to tell it to others.

In telling the story, we are teaching.  In telling the story we are giving God His glory, and are setting a course of faith…for today and tomorrow.  Joshua’s final words were the story of God’s faithfulness (Joshua 23), and it was imperative that the people knew their salvation history.  Joshua knew that there would be challenges for the next generation, and that is why God’s works had to be imprinted on their hearts.

If we fail to tell the story, then we are perhaps passing on a life of spiritual poverty to the next generation.  A life where the cold of winter is known all too real.  As an old man, Joshua was not nuancing his words (Joshua 23:15-16). 


No comments:

Post a Comment