The blessing of commendations

I do not do it well.  I will come clean.  On any day, I grade a myriad of papers for my students at Moody Bible Institute.  Students think that they are little Hemingways that deserve an “A.” I tend to view their work with a different lens.  Every now and then, I will get an email from a student who wonders why I do not write more complementary remarks on his paper.  I get it.  I should make notations that are positive, as well as bleeding red on papers.

Peter Drucker, the father of modern management theory, theorized that companies with successful leadership teams “catch people doing good, and then commend them.”  Commendation is elusive.  It seems that most people are wired to critique, and not commend.  Even now, you are critiquing what you are reading.  What would happen if we moved towards being people who embrace commendation over commanding or condemning?  

As the book of Joshua comes to a close, this is a powerful lesson that is seen in the leadership of Joshua.  Joshua gathers the “Eastern tribes” and thanks them for being people who kept their word.  The Eastern tribes stood next to their brothers, and now Joshua thanks them, and blesses them (Joshua 22:1-9).  Think of the brilliance in this.  Joshua formally gathered the tribes to thank them.  In doing this, he was “banking” emotional and spiritual goodwill towards the people of God.  These would be reserves that Joshua could draw-on later if needed.  Joshua could have chosen a different path with managing the Eastern tribes, but he chose commendation…and blessing. 

This week, let’s listen to the voice of God, the voice of Joshua, dare I say the voice of Drucker, and add an attitude of commendation to our speech…our actions. 

You all are great!  Thanks for reading!

Pastor Tim


No comments:

Post a Comment