He didn't take the goods?!


I was on my way to the golf course to spend an afternoon playing a few holes with a man from the church.  It was a perfect day.  He would call me if his plans changed.  As I was driving there, my cell went off.  I immediately thought: “I need to get this in case there is a delay or change of plans.”  For a brief moment, I ignored all data that speaks to the dangers of driving, and being occupied on a phone.  For a moment, I thought that my schedule and life was more important than that of the people I might harm by my distraction over a golf game.

Our lives are formed by our conception of the importance of self, and the disconnect that our actions have consequences on others.  It is part of our American dream of being mini-autonomous beings who think of self before community.  We do this in many areas of life - if we are honest and are self-aware.

We are not alone.  God was clear in His “data” to the Israelites.  When they entered the land, and took over a city they were not allowed to take any of the “loot” (Joshua 6:17-18).  God was clear.  Do not take that which is not yours.  Don’t do it!  Yet.  As the Israelites followed their success at Jericho, there was the next city, Ai.  And, sure enough one person did not think that he needed to listen to God.  One man thought of himself first, and ignored God.  Achan took some loot (Joshua 7:20).  His actions had consequences on more than himself.  

We do not live in a vacuum of singular salvation, but an organism called the “body of Christ.”  There are consequences to our actions.    

Pastor Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment