What would happen if Nick Swisher would give up after he strikes out? In my days of contemplating a career in baseball, I was notorious for striking out. I think my eyes were created for academics and not for baseball. I gave up my hopes of a professional baseball career in 6th grade. However, when I see Swisher, I think that I could have his swagger had I not quit.
Sometimes when we face defeat, it is easy to simply “quit.” You name the area of life, and the path to the future is often the path that is well-trodden and comes with little pain. This is a lesson that “pops” from Joshua 8. After the devastating defeat at Ai, the Israelites had to re-focus their “game-plan.” They had to decide whether to allow defeat define them.
After the heady victory at Jericho (Joshua 6), they were embarrassed by the defeat at Ai (Joshua 7). With the power of God at their side they knew victory. Yet, without God even the smallest of cities was able to bring defeat and humility. The cool thing about God, and His relationship with His people, is that God does not quit! If people are willing to get back up and renew relationship with God, then God will forgive, and begin the winning relationship again! Incredible! God does not keep track of our strike outs!! He wants us to stay in the game, even if we really stink at it sometimes!
The Israelites demonstrated at Ai that great Pauline theology that there is no condemnation for those in Christ (Romans 8:1). Now, for you and me, let the past lie in history. Today, get back up and ask God to give you victory in the present as you allow God to give you a godly swagger!
Pastor Tim

No comments:
Post a Comment