Pork and Beans

Here at Firestone Park Baptist there is a tradition of collecting food for a local ministry to those less fortunate.  This is a good thing.  At some time in the life of the church someone caught a vision to help in this great way.  However, as I have walked in the church over the last four weeks, I have made a critical observation: no one brings food for this ministry.  It exists, but it is not working.

This got me thinking: how can a church think that God is going to bless it, if they are not willing to bless?  I was reminded of Jesus' words where he said, "for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat, and you gave me nothing to drink" (Matt 25:42).  I will let you finish reading some strong words of Jesus (Matt 25:46).

This weighed heavy on my heart.  How can a small church with resources already exhausted, be obedient to helping those less fortunate.  Is it too much to ask a church to be outward looking if the needs internally are great?  Then, in a mad rush to the local grocer to pick-up the one missing element in our family dinner it hit me: God does not expect us to feed everyone...He simply wants us to be part of feeding everyone.  It can be in small ways.  As I strolled by the pork and beans, it was as if a still small voice spoke to me and said: reaching your neighbor and helping begins with you.  What could I do?  It was clear as I added a can of beans to my groceries.  A vision was reborn.

For the next ten weeks, the assembly of Firestone Park Baptist is asked to buy one additional food staple to help those who are in need.  In the end, I believe that this is more about personal spirituality...as we allow God to bless others through small acts of obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment