In our home there are two types of chocolate chip cookies that are made. The first are made with imitation vanilla for everyday and non-special occasions. Imitation vanilla tastes something like real vanilla, and as most people know it costs a fraction as much. The second type of cookies are made on special occasions, or for special people, and these are made with real vanilla. They are out-of-this-world good! I think often when today's culture speaks of imitation it is with the first idea in mind: something that is not as good as an original.
However, as we are studying the book of First Thessalonians here at Firestone Park Baptist there is a radical statement made in the first chapter. It is generally assumed that Paul had good and familiar relationship with the church at Thessaloniki, he did not have to defend his ministry in the superscript (1:1). This is what makes his message all the more powerful when he tells the church to "become imitators of us" (1:6) This is incredible that he would ask the church to follow and mirror his behavior. As I ponder my life, I wonder if I would have the same courage to ask people to imitate me. What a great quality to strive for in the spiritual life! To be at a place that we can say to those around us: follow and imitate my life.
Even on reflecting on this and admitting that I, too, have a thorn or two in my flesh, I am encouraged to continue seeking greater godliness in my life. How about you? Are you settling for being the imitation vanilla that looks and smells like the real thing? Or, do you seek to be the genuine deal. One who others can imitate and one you can be an example to (1:7).
I like chocolate chips made with the real deal.
I think God likes people who are the real deal and seek to live for Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment