A few years I decided that I wanted to eat real tomatoes. Yes. Not the type that one finds in the big -chain groceries, but the type I remember from my grandpa’s fields in the heat of the August sun. You know, the kind you wash with the garden hose, then eat like an apple! So, I began my yearly gardening project. I thought it would be simple. Get some heirloom seeds plant them and then “bam.” Done.
How is your garden growing this summer? It’s been hot. It’s been rainy. For me, it’s been a tough summer. I have lost many of my plants: perhaps to the rain, or heat, or the lack of attention. Yes, weeds grow without any help, and I have been somewhat derelict in weeding. With a bit more love and attention I may be enjoying those glorious tomatoes of summer.
Good gardens begin with good soil. That was part of the point that Jesus made in His teaching (Mark 4:1-20). The better the soil condition, the better the fertility of the garden. The parable of the soils is a glimpse into how people respond to the Word of God. Some simply will not understand. Some will “get it” to a degree, but then not go “all in.” While others, find that there is great fertility in the Word, and will have a great spiritual harvest. What part of this does the individual control? I am not totally sure; however, I know that reading God’s Word and praying are spiritual ways that we can amend our soil.
It’s your call. How is your spiritual garden?
Pastor Tim
No comments:
Post a Comment