Big words.
Let's face it the time for the big word is over in our culture. People do not like those polysyllabic beasts that tend to make people squirm as they face meaning. We are becoming a culture that prefers brevity and textable acronyms. I guess the bigger issue is why should the big word be discarded in a cultural wastebasket? Instead of throwing out good words that communicate, why not admit deeper cultural issues about the place of words in the community and person?
Sunday, I had to make a decision: was I going to use the polysyllabic word or not as part of my title for Sunday's sermon? I decided to go for it.
I did it. As I engaged Exodus 19, I wrapped it in the background of a theology of antinomianism. Yep. Antinomianism. In a wonderful and deep theological chapter of the Bible, this is the word that best describes the events.
There is a huge biblical misunderstanding with the path to God. Many people believe that by keeping some form of "law" like the so-called "Ten Commandments" that they will have access to heaven. However, the argument in the biblical book of Exodus clearly indicates, even from an Old Testament perspective, that grace and relationship are the initial steps in coming to God. It is not the keeping of the law. Look at Exodus! Exodus 19 comes before Exodus 20. The relationship is made before the law is given! This is part of the idea of antinomianism: the law does not earn God's favor. One only comes to the Father through the Son, and that is a matter of grace.
Let's not be afraid of "bid words."
Sometimes they highlight a need to bring clarity to our theology. They can be a means to correction and clarification.
What about it? Are you antinomian in your theology? Are you trusting in a set of rules to earn your place with God, or do you see the relationship based on God and His Son...
For by grace...
No comments:
Post a Comment