Noise. It seems as if I am surrounded by noise. There is clamoring to my right, and clamoring to my left. I strive to move forward. To not allow the noise of culture distract me. To try to keep focused on the central message of the faith: the gospel. I think amidst the noise of cultural issues Satan smiles if he can distract and get believers distracted.
I think that may have been going on in some ways in the first century with the Hebrew Christians who were receiving the letter of Hebrews. There was cultural noise. They were taking good and legitimate teachings, and placing an emphasis on these instead of the Gospel. They were seemingly highly esteeming the place of angels and their activity in their day, and needed to have a simple reminder to refocus.
I’m always amazed at how many today embrace “angels.” There are songs about angels. There are shows about angels. There are books about angels. Some people really “dig” angels. There is a whole line of garden angels to be placed amongst one’s cucumber and tomato plants. Now, what does a cucumber plant need with an angel? The Bible is clear: angels exist. The Bible is clear: God uses angels in supernatural ways. However, some people place angels in a higher place than God. I find it interesting that the secular mind may except a “guardian angel,” but not a guardian God.
This is how the author of Hebrews begins the sermonic letter. Yes, there are angels, but there is One far superior to angels. Don’t get distracted by the culture around you. When we take our eyes off the superiority of Jesus, our Savior, I think that there is a battle won for Satan. I am reminded again to not allow the noise of culture distract me. Jesus wins.

No comments:
Post a Comment