Beware of the dogs

When you were a child, did you hear the phrase, “How many times have I told you?” Perhaps you can picture your Dad or Mom towering over you and reminding you for the 100th time about doing your chores. My dad is famous for reminding my brothers and me to “turn out the lights.”  When we would forget, we would get the: “how many times have I told you”  to turn off the lights. We seemed to always leave the basement or garage lights on.  Having recently had my three college children home for Christmas break, I have learned to appreciate my Dad’s wisdom in turning out lights! To this day, as a grown man, if I am in my Dad’s garage (to borrow something!), I make sure that I tell him that I “turned out the lights.” 

In the book of Philippians, Paul was not concerned about “turning off lights,” but he did have a “how many times have I told you” approach to their relationship (3:1).  It seems that Paul had a few basic core teachings that he was conveying to this church. It is clear, that he wanted them to be people of joy.  He was not shy about telling them “to rejoice.” When the reader arrives at chapter three, Paul will again tell the Philippians to “rejoice.” The other issue that Paul is teaching is that believers will have opposition in life, and he is again reminding them of opposition and correct belief.

It is a driving passion for Paul that the early church gets their faith story right! Clearly, Paul wants them to avoid a rigid prescribed performance oriented approach of his religious past.  In fact, he calls those who want rigidity in faith: “dogs” (3:2).  So again, Paul will teach about a refreshing joy-filled faith.  Why? Not so he can stand over them, but because he loves them, and wants them to be free in Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment