Ask anyone who studies “Millennials” and they will straightway state that a core issue with Millennials are: integrity and authenticity. I am not sure that this is new to the current generation. It seems that every generation hopes for a more pure community. However, I think there is a need to embrace transparency in our relationships. Whether they are in the family, church, or community. I think Paul in his epistle to the Philippians was communicating a model of authenticity.
He was the “rock-star” preacher who loved the people of Philippi, and they seemed to love him. Yet, he had the audacity to state that he would rather be with Christ. In fact, he used emotionally charged language to communicate to them that he was really struggling with his place in their community. I think gone are the days that people in the church have to give a front that they “have it all-together.” In fact, Paul makes it clear that one of the reasons that he might come back to minister in Philippi was that their faith would progress (1:25). “Progression” means that Paul believes there was room to grow. If there is room to grow, then they do not have it all together.
I guess the question is “how does one know” if growth is taking place? It seems that Paul connects this to the issue of “unity” (1:27). A growing expanding authentic faith is a humble faith, and a humble faith is one that seeks to bring unity and not division to any community. The Psalmist really said the same when it is declared, “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity” (Psalm 133:1). Unity begins with keeping our eyes on Christ, and allowing Him to bring authenticity and humility into our hearts and hands. If we embrace this, perhaps we can win some young people to Christ!

No comments:
Post a Comment