Giving thanks for our "garbage"



Thursday is the day it happens.  It is the day that the Garbage trucks come sweeping through our town, and pick up our weekly garbage and recyclables.  The weekly garbage service often finds me in deep thought.  Oh, not thought that it happens, but about the dear couple who live across the way from me.

They are an “olderish” couple.  As far as I can tell, they live in a big home by themselves.  I have never seen signs of children.  They both are academics…at least if one can trust the Google search.  The husband is a bit quirky.  They are quiet, and will grunt if you address them.  They do not seem to be hoarders.  However, come garbage day: they put out enough garbage for the Brady Bunch family!  As I take my half-filled Rubbermaid 32 gallon container (no wheels!) to the curb, I gaze at their pile and think: How do two people have that much trash?  Then, I think what does our trash say about us?

In a sense, trash is a sign of waste.  In order to have waste, one has to have “something.”  If there are no orders from Amazon, then there would be no empty “Amazon Prime” boxes to throw out.  If there is no Gionino’s Pizza boxes in our trash, then there was no pizza.  We as Americans throw out huge qualities of material, and this points to our “taken for granted” attitude toward life.

God has blessed us with so much.  Next time you take out your trash.  Move beyond the banal chore that even today is a “man’s chore,” and see it as an opportunity to give thanks to God for how you have spent another week with having been blessed by God.  Your Heavenly Father knows you, and He provides for you (Matthew 6:25-34).


No comments:

Post a Comment