Transitions many time are hard. Transitions that entail leadership changes are many times hard. People are wired for routine: I have the same boring bowl of oatmeal every morning. When I was doing doctoral work in Cambridge, I ate the same plate of spaghetti every evening. I find comfort in the constant. I feel sorry for leaders who take over a ministry, or church, after a long and beloved leader. How does one succeed people like a Billington or Larson? Or, let’s get biblical: how does one succeed Moses?
Moses spoke with God face to face. He was the one who would lead the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt. Moses spent some 40 years with God’s people, and oversaw two generations of Israelites. Then, one day, God decided to bring a leadership change to His people. Would you submit your vita for that task? I know that I would not! Let’s keep it real: the Israelites were a tough group of people to lead. They were seemingly always complaining!
Now, a younger and new leader would take over. Many leaders simply fail in the midst of the transitional crucible of challenges. How would Joshua succeed?
He would need a convincing word that God has not abandoned His people. He would need the repeated admonishment to be “strong and courageous.” Finally, he would need to remain steadfast in his study and meditation of God’s Word. The last point is where we too find success in the challenges and transitions of life. We need to remain people of the Book!
Pastor Tim

No comments:
Post a Comment