Radical Worship?!



If Jesus were in your presence, what would you give Him?  

I think most of us if asked this in church would respond with a spiritually correct answer: we would give Him everything.  Though, in a more reflective mode, I wonder if even then we would say that we would give Him our all.  

In truth, Jesus is with us, and to our shame we act as if He were some place else.  I realize that this may seem a bit harsh. However that is what is so truly amazing about a “woman” who came into Jesus’ life.

In the Gospel of Mark, the reader is not given her name, therefore she is nameless.  She is portrayed as “an outsider.”  Yet, she does something simply outstanding.  First, she has the audacity to bust into a fellowship meal, thus breaking ancient customs (Mark 14:3).  Then, She gives Jesus “her all,” and busts an alabaster vial of perfume on Jesus to anoint him.  The vial of perform had a street value of close to a years wages for the time.  Wow!  A years worth of money to worship Jesus.  She loved Jesus.  She was not going to let anyone tell her not to worship Him.  Even in the midst of the naysayers (14:4).  

The story is deeply disturbing as I allow is to reflect on my faith.  Would I give Jesus that much if I were in His presence?  Wait.  He is with me.  How much then do I give to Him.  I am not “all in,” but by God’s grace, I pray that I will be a person who is moving towards the example of a certain nameless woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment